My Life (Or Something Like It)

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

OK, Slow Down!

I can't believe Matthew is 15 weeks old now. 3 1/2 months - he'll be married before I know it OK, got that out of my system. I've just been very conscious lately of the fact that babies do indeed grow up. People have started saying things like, "come Christmas Matthew will be into everything," and, "next summer Matthew will be able to have an ice cream cone!" I'm looking forward to experiencing all of the stages of his life, but it makes me sad too. Thank goodness that, for now, he's still a baby!

Your baby boy, Matthew, is 15 weeks (Approximately 3.5 months) old now.
If your baby reaches for a toy, don't expect him or her to make contact the first few times - he or she is still developing his or her hand-eye coordination. Rattles and dangling toys on a bouncy seat will help develop this dexterity. Vary his or her choice of toys to stimulate his or her curiosity - he or she's most intrigued by multi-textured toys, bright primary colors, and things that make sounds.
Your baby will still suck on his or her hands for comfort and to help him or her cope with stress until his or her motor skills improve and he or she can manipulate other items into his or her mouth. Just expect everything your baby picks up (and soon, his or her feet) to go straight into his or her mouth for the next several months.
Although your baby's neck muscles have gained an impressive amount of strength in just a few short months, you may notice his or her neck still wobbles a bit, especially if you pull him or her from a lying position into a sitting position. Continue to support his or her neck when necessary.


Yes, Matthew has started to put things into his mouth. I was actually suprised to see him do it the first time - since I work full time, I don't get to observe him as much as I'd like. So when this past weekend I saw him grab ahold of one of his toys and shove it (a bit akwardly) into his mouth, I looked at my husband and go, "he just put that in his mouth!" And my husband, stay at home dad that he is, was just like, "yeah?" So obviously it had happened before. We're going to have to start being very careful - once he figures out how to move, anything and everything will go into his mouth. Yikes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home