My Life (Or Something Like It)

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Another Week

Wow, 16 weeks old! Every week I say that I can't believe it, and I still can't :o) I bet I'll be saying that for the rest of my life.

Your baby boy, Matthew, is 16 weeks (Approximately 3.7 months) old now.
Your baby is probably close to doubling his or her birth weight and he or she may start to cut down on feedings - his or her stomach is growing along with the rest of him or her so he or she doesn't need to eat as often. He or she will probably eat about six to eight times a day if you are breastfeeding, or four to five times if you are formula-feeding or using a combination of both. Feedings may become frustrating as your baby becomes increasingly aware of (and interested in) the world around him or her, gets distracted, and stops at every new noise.
Your baby is learning that every object has a name. Although it will be several months until you hear true words, he or she is beginning to understand that you are called Mom and his or her favorite toy is called Bear, etc. Some babies this age even start imitating speech sounds and patterns that include consonants, such as "ba" and "da."
He or she will continue to play with his or her hands frequently as his or her coordination and strength are improving. But watch out! When in reach, you'll discover his or her little hands grabbing your hair, jewelry, and clothing.
Pay close attention to your baby's extremities, especially his or her fingers and toes and watch for any swelling or redness that may indicate blocked circulation. Tiny threads, strings, or hairs can get wrapped tightly around your baby's fingers or toes and cut off circulation. Remove the thread or string with a pair of baby scissors.


Everything that the newsletter says about Matthew is true :o) He is driving me nuts with his eating habits. Sometimes I'm ready for him to eat, but he just isn't interested. Or he wants to eat, but he'll keep stopping to look around or fidget. I've been known to say, "Matthew, pay attention!" Yeah, that works really well with a 3.5 month old. He also plays with is hands a lot and gets a pretty good grip on my hair sometimes. Such a big boy. His 4 month well baby visit is next Monday. I'm anxious to see what he weighs and how "tall" he is now. I'm not looking forward to his second round of vaccinations, but he didn't cry for more than a minute the first time. So hopefully he'll do just as well this time. We'll see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home