My Life (Or Something Like It)

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

New News

Yesterday marked my 3rd prenatal doctor's appointment. And things went well! My weight and blood pressure were fine. Actually, my weight is very interesting to me. I'm getting a little bit of a tummy, but apparently it's nothing that weighs too much. I gained the weight back that I lost when I was getting sick all the time, but no extra. I'm right back where I was at my first doctor's appointment when I was 6 weeks pregnant. So I'm pretty happy that I'm not turning into an elephant or something :o) Then my husband and I (after a looooong wait) finally got to meet my doctor for the day. I think I explained this already - there are a bunch (around 10) doctors in the practice and they all get a shot at me due to the fact that there's no telling who will be on call when I deliver. So I get to see a different one each time. Anyway, this one was hot. But that's beside the point. He listened to the baby's heart with the doppler, and this time the heartbeat was very easy to find. Good and strong, he said. And we got it on tape! So I can keep playing it if I start to feel "disconnected" again. And then he got to the exciting part...at this stage they can start measuring where the top of my uterus is in relation to my pubic bone as an indicator of how the baby is growing. The top of the uterus is called the fundus, so they call this measurement the fundal height (FYI). At any rate, he measured and then looked at my chart and said, "hmm...you're 14 weeks but you're measuring more like 17." Wow! So he said that could mean a) big baby or b) baby is stretched out in a way that is making it seem big. He took a look at my husband and said that if it's a boy, maybe it's just big! So we get an ultrasound on January 9th to see the little behemoth and hopefully determine whether it is a girl or boy! All in all, I'd say it was a very good appointment. I'd so much rather my baby be bigger than normal than be too small. Oh, and I got my flu shot, too, so hopefully this year I will not be laid up with it for 4 days like I was last year. I sure don't need that on top of everything else!

Hope that everyone else is doing well and getting ready for Christmas (or whatever it is that you happen to celebrate). I am woefully behind, as I only have 2 presents purchased and my cards are still sitting in my bedroom in the boxes that they came in. I'm hoping to get a start on them so that people will get them before New Years! I have been rather self-centered for the last few months, which I suppose is understandable. I'm starting to come out of it a bit. I've actually called my mother a couple times, so maybe my friends will come next (especially you, Spiffy). Take care everybody!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger Cara said…

    I was just browsing through blogs, and I just wanted to with you well. I hope you have a healthy and happy 9 months! You are so blessed!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home