My Life (Or Something Like It)

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Pulling My Hair Out

Well, I've just about had it with the EHS Committee! As the EHS Manager, I have the distinct misfortune of being the "chairman". This committee was formed a few months after I started working here, for 2 reasons. The first one is because our workers' comp. insurance requires us to have a safety committee. The second one is because my boss thought it would be a good idea. Which is true. He asked how many members I wanted on the committee, and I told him that I wanted a representative from every department. He then proceeded to pick members, due to the fact that I hadn't really gotten to know everybody that well yet.

Right away the QA representative began to be a problem, due to the fact that she only shows up to half of the meetings (There are only 6 members, including myself). This is because QA is both our smallest and one of our busiest departments. Our Tech. Service (TS) committee representative thinks that this is unacceptable, and that QA is not making the committee the priority that it should be. These 2 members spent about a half hour during the last meeting going back and forth with each other about this issue. The meeting ended with the QA representative crying and saying that she wasn't coming back. In her defense, she is pregnant. It was still highly unprofessional, though. Well, most people blamed the meeting's lack of productiveness on the jerkiness of the TS representative (who does have a tendency to be a bit of a prick). One, however, blamed my lack of leadership. This happened to be the Human Resource Administrator, who proceeded to share her opinion with my boss. He wasn't mad, but has asked to sit in on the next few meetings. Since this happened (last month), the QA rep has settled down and agreed to return to the committee, the TS rep has received a talking-to by both me and his boss and has agreed to tone down the aggression, and the production representative has been fired due to committing 2 major safety violations in the last couple months (oh, the irony).

Now, this afternoon we will be having another meeting. My boss cannot attend due to a doctor's appointment. Our QA representative is out sick, so an alternate will be attending. This will leave 1 person in QA, because there is another guy out of the state. Our new production representative will be coming, I think, even though that will only leave 2 people in his department (one of them on restricted duty due to a back injury). I'm getting so I just do not even want to deal with any of them. I can't act like I'm sick and tired of it, though, or my next review will have a big "needs improvement" checked under attitude and works well with others. That is why I just poured out the whole thing on this blog, even though nobody will probably read it and/or care. I had to vent!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home